“Evolution” of Ero Seagull: Exclusive Interview


 The Greek – Canadian Alternative Hip Hop Artist released her debut album Evolution on June 14th with EMI Universal. The album consists of eleven (11) songs that were written and recorded during a twelve-month period in Athens, Greece at The Cave Studio and the studio Future Perfect. It is produced by Ero Seagull, Dieselbytes Supreme, Marilena Orfanou (Someone Who Isn't Me), mrpc (Afrocream) and engineered and mastered by Ekelon and Selini.

Ero Seagull first appeared in the music contest The Peoples Music Awards in London where she won the judges’ round in the “Off the beaten track” category for Unison | Breath of Life. She went to give her first concert in the venue Scala and she has also played a live gig in The World Festival of Music & Drama in Lahore with her composition Craters on the moon.

S!: Hi Ero, how are you today?
ES: Hi! I'm good, thank you for having me!

S!: Congratulations on your debut album! Your music style is quite special, mix of electro hip hop songs, rock, EDM and funk elements. How would you call your genre?
ES: I don't think I belong in a genre; each song is very different to the other. My genre is mixed.

S!: Where does your passion for music come from?
ES: My passion for music comes from an inner need to express my thoughts as well as communicate them to the people. I've always been an entertainer. As a kid I used to make people laugh now I wish to cheer them up, make them think or even simply give them something to dance to.

S!: One of your songs tells about Romeo’s vision of love, right? Do you think that Shakespeare’s story is eternal in the sense of problems that lovers face? Time changes, but the things people deal with persist… do you agree?
ES: Yes, it is eternal! Romeo and Juliet is my ideal kind of love. The kind of love I wish for myself minus the dramatic death, haha. They died when they were young and in a pure unjaded state of heart, which was as open as it gets. This is archetypical energy. As an archetype to me this represents the idea of unconditional love, as seeing the other as yourself. Of course, we have taken notice of the fact that they die in their prime, both were unable to see their own existence without the other and this kind of vision of love breaks all. Of course it becomes a tragedy when they are fated to misunderstand the others state. This then leads to the dramatic choice to join the other, as separation is an impossibility. It is the chaos and hatred of the outside world which leads to their premature end. But obviously this is where romance comes in, she dies beautiful and untouched and untainted by cynicism. So does he. All whilst gliding on a wave of passion. Because such passion could end no other way. Like a shooting star they are destined to light up the sky for a few blessed seconds. Till they again fade into darkness. I agree with you that problems that lovers face persist. My parents lived something similar at their twenties as they came from different backgrounds for my mom came from a rich family and her mom didn't want her Romeo who was a normal young man. I still haven't found my Juliet but I believe that she is out there and love always finds its way, you can find your Juliet when you're older but you must have a pure complete heart and not be cynical to live it as passionately as it's meant to be.

S!: When did you start playing music?
ES: I started playing piano as a kid and when I grew older I learned to play drums and guitar on my own. I like to learn more instruments, now I've taken a banjo. At my studio I have loads of instruments. Spending time with music is the greatest healer.

S!: Many artists and creators struggle with finding their own voice. What way is your way to establishing originality and personal touch in your creations?
ES: I like breaking stereotypes. I guess finding my own voice was never an issue. I always knew who I was, even though I believe in Socrates' words “The only thing I know, is that I know nothing.” So there is everything to learn about oneself until we go to the other world, but until we do your self is everything and nothing at the same time. Perhaps I am not a typical in terms of my cultural identity, gender, world view or all of the complex combinations that we believe make up a personality. The way I have always approached life is to be accepting and non-judgemental. I often use the word "pure" to describe a state of being that I aim to be and keep alive in my loved ones. So music is an extension of my heart, my story, it is my essence being sounded out. An essence that is not restricted in doubt or lack of love, I know unconditional love and I believe I give freely, always there is room to improve technically, but I hope some of the things I have lived through in terms of consciousness can bring me together with audiences.

S!: Your song “The Gospel” went viral and got reposted many times by US bloggers. Why do you think it resonated with the public?
ES: It was the timing actually, I sent it to one music blogger who loved it and posted it and then it went viral. I believe it is quite unique in terms of a having someone saying she is Jesus Christ and talking from a perspective that has never been heard before. The track is based in the theory of sadness that has both Jesus' beloved (Judas and Mary Magdalene) being the most trusted ones and the most misunderstood. For it is believed in this theory that Jesus had a love affair with Mary Magdalene and that He asked Judas to hand him over to the authorities. Therefore, Judas kissed him before they took Him.  I love the enormous 808 beat that Dieselbytes Supreme did, it is a blessed song. We all work to bring the best outcome in general, so chances are it will go well.

S!: We heard you are now working on the next single “My Baby”. What inspires you for this one?
ES: I am a borderline personality among other things, not in a big level but I am one and it is about borderline personality. I had a relationship that was fully borderline and I recognise what we do in terms of dissociation. I also talked to other people who dated a borderline and I wished to write a song about it to raise awareness and send my daemons away. At first when you will hear it you'll think I am talking down on my ex but I wanted to mention all the things that scarred me and further on the song I sing from a perspective that gets her and has compassion. At no circumstance did I think I was a victim, I don't believe in that. I believe that in a relationship of two people that is problematic both share responsibility. As a Greek saying says "As you make your bed you will lay in it". A toxic relationship is based on dynamics. If one is letting the flow in the hands of the other it's not the other's fault.  Leon Rhymes (Too Many T’s) gave the initial idea in a recording with stems he’d sent for "What’s in a Romeo". I picked it and crewed up with Marilena Orfanou (Someone Who Isn't Me) and Ekelon and turned it into a song. The outcome makes my heart sing it stays with you.
The video clip of “My Baby” will be directed by Antony Glaros an up and coming award-winning director maker of the "Job Interview" and "The Chandelier".   

S!: Is that true, that you are writing a book?
ES: Yes it is called "Ero and the Remembrance" and it is about my experience being in a borderline episode. I've lived the life of Romeo and Juliet but it was all in my fantasy world. I had met in uni a girl named Crystal and I fell in love with her but I couldn't talk to her so I took drugs in order to do so which brought me to an episode. I used to be with her but the problem is that she wasn't there. I thought I was the reincarnation of Jesus and Mary Magdalene was that girl. "The Gospel" was my reality when I was on that episode. The book will be published next week by Ostria Publications.

S!: How our readers can keep up with the publication updates?
ES: I guess the best way is either by adding me on Instagram or liking my page on Facebook. I always update them with my news.

S!: When will your next single be released?
ES: My Baby will be released soon. I have no idea yet what is the exact release date to be honest as our world is facing strange times.

S!: You are also working on the new video clips of “My Baby” and “What’s in a Romeo”. How does the work go?
ES: What's in a Romeo was going to be filmed next week by Dimitra Tampasi a great director who has the most beautiful vision about the song but we've actually postponed the shootings of both as I don't wish for anyone’s health to be jeopardised.

S!: What are you biggest projects for 2020?
ES: I had my first big gig for my debut album next week as well but haha when we make plans God laughs. But we shouldn't let this virus get us down, we should be creative and continue our work. After My Baby I will be preparing a new album.

S!: What is your biggest dream right now?
ES:

 My biggest dream is for the world to go as it was before this virus appeared. I appreciate so much more the freedom we had. This feels like a Hollywood sci-fi movie. So my biggest dream is health for the world!

S!: What is your motivational quote of the day?
ES: Be safe and stay indoors and be creative!

S!: Thank you so much, Ero, for finding time for the interview! We wish you a lot of success in your wonderful creations! 


ES: Thank you!

Follow Ero Seagull on her social media:

Listen to Ero’s music:
Spotify: bit.ly/eroseagull

Popular Posts